Altitude sickness, also called mountain sickness is a negative health effect brought by climbing or walking to a higher altitude where amount of oxygen is low. It happens because body become unable to adapt low air pressure and oxygen at high altitude area. Altitude sickness can happens to anyone. It appear from 2000m (6,600 ft) above sea level.
- Loss of appetite, nausea
- Swelling hands, feet and face
- Continual rapid pulse
- Nose bleeding, shortness of breath
These symptoms are life threatening
Cerebral edema ( swelling of brain)
- Headache that does not respond to analgesics.
- Unsteady gaits
- Gradual loss of consciousness
- Increased nausea and vomiting
Pulmonary edema (fluids in the lungs)
- Continual dry cough
- Shortness of breath even while taking rest
- Ascending slowly
- Avoid strenuous activity
- Avoid alcohol and sleeping pills
- Stay hydrate
- Use oxygen cylinder
- Acetazolamide ( trade name Diamox) it can be taken as preventive medicine.
- Ibuprofen. It is a painkiller. It helps to reduce headache and nausea.
- In case of emergency try to decent down as fast as possible